From: Piergiorgio Beruto <piergiorgio.beruto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:02:20

On Wednesday 27 April 2011 19:06:29 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> On 04/27/11 13:29, Piergiorgio Beruto wrote: > >> But I fail to see a reason for crossdev not to work in Prefix, even if > >> I've not used crossdev myself. So IMO it just has To Be Done (tm). > > > > Well, I've tried to have crossdev itself working in prefix and I > > succeeded, the big problem was to cross-build the glibc, then I didnt > > have the time to finish but maybe I could use some help? > > Shouldn't glibc be the very first package crossdev does build? > What exactly is the problem?
Actually the build order is binutils, kernel headers, glibc headers, gcc stage 1, glibc and gcc stage 2. I encountered problems with glibc not being able to properly detect the previous installed packages, most probably because of prefix as on the plain vanilla gentoo everything worked fine... but I've tried this some time ago, I'd better try again and eventually report the problem with the full log maybe?
--> already done, works just fine.
> > > For instance what you mean exactly by "non-Prefix profiles/keywords"? > > I'm not familiar with crossdev, but I guess you need to set up the > "${ROOT}/etc/make.profile" symlink, pointing to something like > ".../usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/...", resulting in > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS like "x86 ~x86"
ah, ok, crossdev already care about this but now I understand what u mean.
> > In Prefix, you set up "${ROOT}${EPREFIX}/etc/make.profile" pointing > to something like ".../usr/portage/profiles/prefix/...", so > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is something like "~x86-interix". > > The special case for your crossdev-usecase within Prefix is that EPREFIX > is empty for $host (as in $ROOT$EPREFIX), while not empty for $build. > > > Yes, I'm already a crossdev user and I actually think it could be the > > tool I am looking for, possibly with some tweaks. > > Have you also tried using crossdev on vanilla Gentoo Linux to build > your software?
Yes, works like a charm (more or less!)
Thank you, I'll come back to you as soon as I try again.
> > > Do you guys find this kind > > of development useful/challenging? > > Definitively.
Good, I should be able to spend some time on this then, thank you.
> > In which case, have you got a rough > > idea about the effort in making a working prototype (your guess would > > be much better then mine)? > > Unfortunately, not from me.
Nevermind, I think it's worth a try anyway :)
> > /haubi/
Bye, Piergiorgio

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] prefixed gentoo for cross-compile (question) Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>