From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Restructuring the bootstrap (or: getting rid of gcc 4.2)
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 20:24:35
1 On Sunday 02 February 2014 21:12:30 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > I have recently been doing some cleanup work to the bootstrap script,
6 > > getting
7 > > rid of cruft here and there. My goals in this have been twofold: part of
8 > > the
9 >
10 > I do have to say that I respect your goals here. The essential problem is
11 > that bootstrapping is fragile. We all agree there. However, to introduce a
12 > fundamental change to the process, you will encounter resistance. Now, you
13 > are testing on the "easiest" platform that Gentoo Prefix supports - linux.
14
15 Very true. I've tried to do more broader testing, but I didn't get far.
16
17 > Such that there is no automated testing, I'd strongly advise that you start
18 > compiling a list of platforms where the "new" method works. Since you are
19 > the champion of this new idea, it should be your responsibility to ensure
20 > that there is no loss of support.
21
22 Naturally. As I said, I would certainly not try merging this stuff without the
23 wire-range testing I spoke of.
24
25 > Now, the hard part is that one person does not have access to many
26 > platforms. I would get ahold of SLES 10&11, which has been historically, the
27 > hardest linux flavor to support. Ping Alan (one of our most active
28 > contributors over the years) to see how FreeMiNT goes. You get some access
29 > to solaris from Fabian (but I think there is some version open sourced?). Of
30 > course there is others too..
31 >
32 > Does that make sense?
33
34 Quite. I'll spend some time building a VM fleet for testing purposes, then,
35 and fish around for access to the more restricted platforms.
36
37 -- Ruud