From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: "gentoo-alt@l.g.o" <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Restructuring the bootstrap (or: getting rid of gcc 4.2)
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 20:12:34
1 On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I have recently been doing some cleanup work to the bootstrap script,
6 > getting
7 > rid of cruft here and there. My goals in this have been twofold: part of
8 > the
11 I do have to say that I respect your goals here. The essential problem is
12 that bootstrapping is fragile. We all agree there. However, to introduce a
13 fundamental change to the process, you will encounter resistance. Now, you
14 are testing on the "easiest" platform that Gentoo Prefix supports - linux.
15 Such that there is no automated testing, I'd strongly advise that you start
16 compiling a list of platforms where the "new" method works. Since you are
17 the champion of this new idea, it should be your responsibility to ensure
18 that there is no loss of support. Now, the hard part is that one person
19 does not have access to many platforms. I would get ahold of SLES 10&11,
20 which has been historically, the hardest linux flavor to support. Ping Alan
21 (one of our most active contributors over the years) to see how FreeMiNT
22 goes. You get some access to solaris from Fabian (but I think there is some
23 version open sourced?). Of course there is others too..
24
25 Does that make sense?