From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] gnulib (required for java on aix)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:10:03
1 On 31-07-2008 10:00:25 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > Thinking more of it: +1.
3 > This would throw away the sed-hacks in gnulib.ebuild itself, and allow
4 > use of 'gnulib-tool --create-testdir' without any additional hacks.
5 >
6 > Simply create the gnulib 'testdir' in "${WORKDIR}/gnulib" like done now
7 > in gnulib.ebuild, and let C{,XX}FLAGS and LDFLAGS point there.
8 > And if done by an ebuild function it could just do nothing on [[ CHOST
9 > == *-linux* ]] or even on 'use elibc_glibc'.
10 >
11 > And if we find out many packages using similar sets of gnulib modules,
12 > we could create some intelligent cache for libgnu.a...
13
14 I initially had in mind sort of the same, but with the cache in the back
15 of my head. Given that you require getopt some and other, you just need
16 to get those .o files in a libgnu.a. I don't think a .a file with more
17 than you need is a problem (the linker extracts only what it needs, I
18 guess), which means one can simply create the archive of all .o files
19 available. If we'd just have a directory somewhere, where Portage dumps
20 the .o files to, creating the gnulib.a would be trivial, and the cache
21 would be there immediately. Given that it's probably a zipf
22 distribution, the cache would be highly beneficial right from the start,
23 so why not just do it that way?
27 Fabian Groffen
28 Gentoo on a different level