From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] gnulib (required for java on aix)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:00:38
1 On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 08:58 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
2 > >
3 > > On 25-07-2008 17:31:20 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
4 > <snip>
5 > >
6 > > Is it possible to:
7 > > a) make many separate packages (for each function, or function group its
8 > > own) in a new catagory, or
9 > > b) make use of EAPI 2_pre1, and have a zillion of USE flags on the
10 > > gnulib ebuild and have each ebuild that requires gnulib to depend on the
11 > > USE-flag corresponding the function is enabled.
12 > >
13 > > The first results in a huge list of packages, with a little problem to
14 > > make it a single libgnu.a again (but a wrapper script should do), the
15 > > second results in a recompilation of gnulib probably for many times just
16 > > to add the missing functions.
17 > > >
18 > > > Thoughts?
19 >
20 > I think we should write a small function (in one or the other eclass), that builds a libgnu.a special to each package (that needs one) with gnulib-tool. I think this is the only clean way to get all required modules into each package without either rebuilding libgnu.a all the time, or having a bloated monster libgnu.a.
21 >
22 > I think of adding a line like this to ebuild requiring it:
23 >
24 > gnulib-add getopt whatever anotherone
25 >
26 > this will create a gnulib on the fly, that is targeted specifically to the one package where the call came from.
27 > This will make some packages build al little slower, but still I find this the cleanest solution.
28
29 Thinking more of it: +1.
30 This would throw away the sed-hacks in gnulib.ebuild itself, and allow
31 use of 'gnulib-tool --create-testdir' without any additional hacks.
32
33 Simply create the gnulib 'testdir' in "${WORKDIR}/gnulib" like done now
34 in gnulib.ebuild, and let C{,XX}FLAGS and LDFLAGS point there.
35 And if done by an ebuild function it could just do nothing on [[ CHOST
36 == *-linux* ]] or even on 'use elibc_glibc'.
37
38 And if we find out many packages using similar sets of gnulib modules,
39 we could create some intelligent cache for libgnu.a...
40
41 /haubi/
42 --
43 Michael Haubenwallner