From: Markus Duft <mduft@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] gnulib (required for java on aix)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:03:51
2 > On 25-07-2008 17:31:20 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 <snip>
4 >
5 > Is it possible to:
6 > a) make many separate packages (for each function, or function group its
7 > own) in a new catagory, or
8 > b) make use of EAPI 2_pre1, and have a zillion of USE flags on the
9 > gnulib ebuild and have each ebuild that requires gnulib to depend on the
10 > USE-flag corresponding the function is enabled.
11 >
12 > The first results in a huge list of packages, with a little problem to
13 > make it a single libgnu.a again (but a wrapper script should do), the
14 > second results in a recompilation of gnulib probably for many times just
15 > to add the missing functions.
16 > >
17 > > Thoughts?
18
19 I think we should write a small function (in one or the other eclass), that builds a libgnu.a special to each package (that needs one) with gnulib-tool. I think this is the only clean way to get all required modules into each package without either rebuilding libgnu.a all the time, or having a bloated monster libgnu.a.
20
21 I think of adding a line like this to ebuild requiring it:
22
23 gnulib-add getopt whatever anotherone
24
25 this will create a gnulib on the fly, that is targeted specifically to the one package where the call came from. This will make some packages build al little slower, but still I find this the cleanest solution.
26
27 Thoughts?
28
29 Cheers, Markus
32 > > Will try to reduce the size of the solaris patch for portage-utils using
33 > > that libgnu.a now.
34 > >
35 > > /haubi/
36 > > --