From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] gnulib (required for java on aix)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:03:05
1 On 25-07-2008 17:31:20 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > To get this flow with _minor_ changes on AIX, I've found dev-libs/gnulib
3 > already existing upstream. Using that's 'gnulib-tool' I'm now creating
4 > an autotoolized package installing libgnu.a and some headers on-the-fly,
5 > designed to provide many GNU-ish functions missing in the host's libc.
6
7 that'll be useful
8
9 > If a package already contains some gnulib modules, using 'gnulib-tool'
10 > it should be possible to easily upgrade them or add new ones (haven't
11 > tried this yet).
12 >
13 > OTOH, if a package does not ship with gnulib modules, or does not use
14 > autotools at all, it's easier to use the installed libgnu.a, simply by:
15 > append-flags -I"${EPREFIX}"/usr/$(get_libdir)/gnulib/include
16 > append-ldflags -L"${EPREFIX}"/usr/$(get_libdir)/gnulib/lib -lgnu
17 >
18 > Eventually we could think of having flag-o-matic.eclass provide some
19 > append-gnulib-flags
20
21 I think that makes sense, (I'm tempted to kill the stupid warning
22 append-ldflag issues when using it with -l*, it's a false warning for
23 --as-needed users anyway... you won't add a lib if the link doesn't
24 fail...)
25
26 > The current gnulib-modules in that libgnu.a are:
27 > getopt
28 > strcasestr
29 > xvasprintf
30 > and their dependencies.
31 >
32 > It does not work to pull in all ~1000 gnulib-modules, so I decided to
33 > start with the ones required by portage-utils on aix, and add modules
34 > one by one as they are required.
35
36 Is it possible to:
37 a) make many separate packages (for each function, or function group its
38 own) in a new catagory, or
39 b) make use of EAPI 2_pre1, and have a zillion of USE flags on the
40 gnulib ebuild and have each ebuild that requires gnulib to depend on the
41 USE-flag corresponding the function is enabled.
42
43 The first results in a huge list of packages, with a little problem to
44 make it a single libgnu.a again (but a wrapper script should do), the
45 second results in a recompilation of gnulib probably for many times just
46 to add the missing functions.
47 >
48 > Thoughts?
49 >
50 > Will try to reduce the size of the solaris patch for portage-utils using
51 > that libgnu.a now.
52 >
53 > /haubi/
54 > --