From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] glibc with prefix
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 06:52:57
1 On 14-02-2013 00:15:44 +0100, Ruud Koolen wrote:
2 > I have been working on exactly that; I have a proof of concept implementation
3 > [1] of a version of prefix that uses its own libc like this, which has been
4 > tested more-or-less successfully by a handful of people. I'm planning on
5 > developing it into a real implementation that could potentially be merged as
6 > an option into prefix, but work on that has not yet started.
7
8 Great work!
9
10 > The reasons it would be a good thing include improved independence from the
11 > host system, leading to reduced platform-specific breakage and
12 > platform-specific hacks. However, it cannot completely replace the current
13 > structure, as it relies on having a libc implementation available for every
14 > platform supported by prefix, which is not the case. Hence, if merged, it
15 > will always be as an alternative to the native libc (and of course, having
16 > parallel infrastructure for both models has its own downsides).
17
18 Given that the libc is basically only a problem on Linux (due to the
19 many vendors around, and all doing it slightly different, as opposed to
20 UNIX systems or derivatives that have a very stable env for each
21 "release") I would like to see a solution that we can "turn on" for
22 Linux only, to get rid of all those glibc-is-too-old bugs and
23 workarounds.
27 Fabian Groffen
28 Gentoo on a different level