From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@×××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] glibc with prefix
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 23:15:53
1 On Wednesday 13 February 2013 22:36:51 Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
2 > I've just stumbled over a report of someone seemingly successfully
3 > working with a local glibc[1].
4 >
5 > Comments? Reasons why this would/wouldn't work or be a good idea in a
6 > prefix?
7 >
8 > Regards,
9 >
10 > Jeff
11
12 I have been working on exactly that; I have a proof of concept implementation
13 [1] of a version of prefix that uses its own libc like this, which has been
14 tested more-or-less successfully by a handful of people. I'm planning on
15 developing it into a real implementation that could potentially be merged as
16 an option into prefix, but work on that has not yet started.
17
18 The reasons it would be a good thing include improved independence from the
19 host system, leading to reduced platform-specific breakage and
20 platform-specific hacks. However, it cannot completely replace the current
21 structure, as it relies on having a libc implementation available for every
22 platform supported by prefix, which is not the case. Hence, if merged, it
23 will always be as an alternative to the native libc (and of course, having
24 parallel infrastructure for both models has its own downsides).
25
26 -- Ruud
27
28 [1] https://github.com/redlizard/gentoo-prefix-libc