From: Egg Plant <egg.plant@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-alt@l.g.o" <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Re: desktop experience on smartphone: thoughts and plans
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:47:32
1 SOME HAPHAZARD THOUGHT AFTER SOME SURVEY & ANALYSIS !!
2 (not that much professional enough)
3 If you hate pessimists, please don't read this mail.
6 First set of facts:
7 ------------------------
8
9 GNOME 3 (considered as the main GUI/DE for Linux distros) is trying to be be suitable for small screen devices.
10
11 KDE 4 (considered as the GUI/DE for UNIX power users) have interface for similar devices. Now Qt5 is being optimised for such devices, so how far KDE will remain different !!
12
13 Qt5 is promoting QML (somewhat similar to HTML5), forget simple UNIX, C/C++, direct hardware access. I am not a great programmer and not saying about merits of HTML5, just do a survey how many websites you can open & render with an web browser properly unless it's optimised for that !! According to my analysis, HTML5 is the next hot thing from Google, it's being developed as more a programming language than markup, no relation with why HTML was once created.
16 Ubuntu is as usual, copying others, they will (if at all any device ship with Ubuntu on Phone) promote QML/HTML5.
17
18 Jolla Sailfish OS, also have similar strategy of promoting HTML5/QML/Java and optimized for small screen, low resource devices.
21 Tizen !! don't know wether it will at all come out of the egg (I'm not the egg)?? Even then, it will be another Android, locked to Samsung or ....
24 Second set of facts:
25 -----------------------------
26 Small screen, low resource devices =
27 Resolution smaller than or equal to VGA. CPU is RISC (ARM, MIPS), or may be some are running using Microcontroller/DSP only. RAM 128MB or lower. So far what I have found, these are low cost devices and run by chips manufactured by Broadcom, Qualcomm, MediaTek or similar such companies who have nothing to do with FOSS.
28
29 Once these used to be known as "smartphone", now they are included under "feature phone".
32 So legally or without voiding warranty you cannot run FOSS system on these devices with confidence, at least impossible in next 10 yrs.
35 Smartphone/Tablet (as it is today) =
36 From hardware POV, they are comparable to the desktops/laptops 7yrs back, with exception of reduced connectivity options (may be we should thank the ever intelligent hardware manufacturers, Apple & Microsoft).
39 High end Smartphones/Tablets technical specifications are very much well documented and manufacturers do provide the sourcecodes, and don't know why (I can guess) these high priced devices have very vibrant community here & there.
42 So these present day Smartphone/Tablets are capable of running FOSS system using GNOME 2, KDE 4, Xfce, ... as they proved 7yrs back, atleast if I consider about the hardware. Infact, Intel Atom SoC are x86 CISC, may be with some tweak; remember, GNU Linux was hot favorite with Atom powered netbooks.
45 Third set of facts:
46 -------------------------
47 Present strategies to get the benefit of Android being opensource:
48
49 1. some people are installing some community made ROM, removing OEM provided ROM.
50
51 2. some people are using some hack to get administrative previledge and run GNU Linux in 'chroot' environment.
54 3. [if anything left, please enlighten me]
57 Now the problems with the 1st strategy:
58 Void warranty. Very much at risk of bricking your device.
59 How trustworthy are those ROMs ?? What great advantages they are giving than the OEM provided ROMs ??
60 All those ROMs are just little modification of the Android source, so I don't think these give really any freedom from Google !!
61
62 All devices are not supported.
65 Now the problems with the 2nd strategy:
66
67 So far it was possible to use some method or hack and 'root' the device. I don't think it will be possible in future anymore, may be excluding few high cost devices.
70 Microsoft & its relatives will be more interested in secure boot, infact FOTA will make it unnecessary to get the bootloader/recovery image menu.
74 Now the conclusion:
75 -----------------------------
76 I think we need to change the subject of this thread to "smartphone experience on desktop/laptop !!"
77
78 (I doubt how many people will use desktop in future! laptop is being replaced by ultrabook/convertible)
81 As for running UNIX like FOSS system on portable devices, my only hope left is on Intel Atom SoC on $300 Tablets (Phone is useless, considering 3G/LTE being too costly), unless it succumb to Microsoft/Google or their relatives pressure and make access to BIOS/Bootloader (or equivalent) illegal.
84 Till that become reality, I can use any other mobile device using apps from F-droid or similar repo, atleast that will serve as my PDA.
85
86 Another possibility is to develop something similar to Wine (probably the most difficult & doubtful solution).
90 DISCLAIMER: I have no personal/professional relation to any company/project came under discussion above except using (free, paid) devices & softwares & protocols produced by some of them. Also I have no personal hatred against any of those company/project, just discourage who are doing wrong and praise for the good work.
94 I'm yet a learner, warn me if I'm doing any wrong... [|:-)