From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] Different install and build path
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 12:19:25
1 Am Mittwoch, 7. November 2007 schrieb ext Fabian Groffen:
2 > On 07-11-2007 17:28:04 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I just found out about the prefixed portage project. Looks like it
6 > > finally implements functionality I requested already two years ago.
7 > > That's good news.
8 >
9 > My memory is bad, what in particular were/are you looking for?
10
11 See background below.
12
13 > > What I would like to know is the following: Would it be possible to
14 > > build for one prefix, but install into another?
15 >
16 > I'm not sure if I get what exactly it is that you want, and I'm not
17 > familiar with AFS (sorry Stefaan ;) ), but it looks a bit like
18 > automounted stuff, and in particular the BSD automounter's scheme.
19
20 No, it's far superior than that. It creates a global directory tree
21 under /afs. The clients only mount /afs, the tree is assembled on the
22 servers. Volumes are created on the servers and mounted into the tree
23 somewhere, making them instantly visible on the clients. Volumes can be
24 replicated (ro) for higher availability. However, if a ro replica of a
25 volume exist, the client always prefers it over the rw replica, unless the
26 path to the rw replica is used explicitely.
27
28 And that's the problem I want to solve. Install software into a different
29 path than it was compiled for, automatically. Plus, after installation of
30 each package, release the volume (replicate the changes to all ro
31 replicas).
32
33 > Anyway. What you can do these days is:
34 > a)
35 > 1. "emerge" a package with "buildpkg" in FEATURES (or use quickpg
36 > afterwards)
37 > 2. make the binpkg (dir, or tbz alone) available through the
38 > filesystem, or via PORTAGE_BINHOST (http and ftp I think)
39 > 3. "emerge" using -k or -K to use the binary and install it on the
40 > other system with offset-prefix != build systems's prefix
41 > (restriction here is that len(target-prefix) <= len(build-prefix))
42
43 There is no "other" system. All systems see the same directory tree
44 below /afs. There is also now offset, or prefix. The installation path
45 (rw-volume) simply differs from the runtime path (ro-replica).
46
47 > b)
48 > 1. set up portage for offset-prefix A
49 > 2. env EPREFIX=prefix-B emerge package
50 > this would in theory allow to use a prefix installation to "clone"
51 > itself, or for a build-host to maintain/compile for a target
52 > prefix.
53 > I must note that the latter only works on paper (need to iron some
54 > issues out here) and the former I never tried.
55
56 Can try this.
57
58 > > Background: This would be an ideal thing for installing (and
59 > > distributing) software into the AFS filesystem tree. As you may know,
60 > > AFS supports read-only replication, were ro replicas of a volume (if
61 > > existing) are accessed with preference over rw replicas. However, the
62 > > rw replica can always be accessed through the so called rw path, like
63 > >
64 > > /afs/mydomain.com/myvolume (ro)
65 > > /afs/.mydomain.com/myvolume (rw)
66 > >
67 > > The other thing that would be needed to support this is to be able to
68 > > run user defined actions at certain states, like in this case run "vos
69 > > release" after each successful install to synchronize the ro with the
70 > > rw replica.
71
72 Bye...
73
74 Dirk
75 --
76 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
77 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
78 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
79 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
80 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
81 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net