From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] Different install and build path
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:39:17
1 On 07-11-2007 17:28:04 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I just found out about the prefixed portage project. Looks like it finally
5 > implements functionality I requested already two years ago. That's good
6 > news.
7
8 My memory is bad, what in particular were/are you looking for?
9
10 > What I would like to know is the following: Would it be possible to build
11 > for one prefix, but install into another?
12
13 I'm not sure if I get what exactly it is that you want, and I'm not
14 familiar with AFS (sorry Stefaan ;) ), but it looks a bit like
15 automounted stuff, and in particular the BSD automounter's scheme.
16
17 Anyway. What you can do these days is:
18 a)
19 1. "emerge" a package with "buildpkg" in FEATURES (or use quickpg
20 afterwards)
21 2. make the binpkg (dir, or tbz alone) available through the
22 filesystem, or via PORTAGE_BINHOST (http and ftp I think)
23 3. "emerge" using -k or -K to use the binary and install it on the
24 other system with offset-prefix != build systems's prefix
25 (restriction here is that len(target-prefix) <= len(build-prefix))
26 b)
27 1. set up portage for offset-prefix A
28 2. env EPREFIX=prefix-B emerge package
29 this would in theory allow to use a prefix installation to "clone"
30 itself, or for a build-host to maintain/compile for a target
31 prefix.
32 I must note that the latter only works on paper (need to iron some
33 issues out here) and the former I never tried.
34
35 > Background: This would be an ideal thing for installing (and distributing)
36 > software into the AFS filesystem tree. As you may know, AFS supports
37 > read-only replication, were ro replicas of a volume (if existing) are
38 > accessed with preference over rw replicas. However, the rw replica can
39 > always be accessed through the so called rw path, like
40 >
41 > /afs/mydomain.com/myvolume (ro)
42 > /afs/.mydomain.com/myvolume (rw)
43 >
44 > The other thing that would be needed to support this is to be able to run
45 > user defined actions at certain states, like in this case run "vos release"
46 > after each successful install to synchronize the ro with the rw replica.
50 Fabian Groffen
51 Gentoo on a different level
52 --
53 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list