From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] Different install and build path
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:29:10
1 Hi,
2
3 I just found out about the prefixed portage project. Looks like it finally
4 implements functionality I requested already two years ago. That's good
5 news.
6
7 What I would like to know is the following: Would it be possible to build
8 for one prefix, but install into another?
9
10 Background: This would be an ideal thing for installing (and distributing)
11 software into the AFS filesystem tree. As you may know, AFS supports
12 read-only replication, were ro replicas of a volume (if existing) are
13 accessed with preference over rw replicas. However, the rw replica can
14 always be accessed through the so called rw path, like
15
16 /afs/mydomain.com/myvolume (ro)
17 /afs/.mydomain.com/myvolume (rw)
18
19 The other thing that would be needed to support this is to be able to run
20 user defined actions at certain states, like in this case run "vos release"
21 after each successful install to synchronize the ro with the rw replica.
22
23 Thanks...
24
25 Dirk
26 --
27 Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
28 Configuration Manager | Fax: +49 (0)211 47068 111
29 Capgemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@×××××××××.com
30 Wanheimerstraße 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com
31 D-40468 Düsseldorf | ICQ#: 110037733
32 GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Keyserver: www.keyserver.net