From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix]-portage on native gentoo
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:10:04
1 On 10-12-2007 19:04:05 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:20 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > On 10-12-2007 17:27:03 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
4 > > > > However, portage /does/ record which python it wants to use, so
5 > > > > eventually it gets the "correct" python libraries when NOT using
6 > > > > PYTHONPATH.
7 > > >
8 > > > Problem here is not that it finds wrong python modules, but wrong
9 > > > *portage* modules, because PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/portage/pym
10 > > >
11 > > > It (seems to) work when I unset PYTHONPATH before doing prefix.
12 > >
13 > > Reason for this IMHO is for Portage developers to be able to tell
14 > > portage where it /should/ look for its stuff by simply setting
15 > > PYTHONPATH. If we ignore this var, Portage no longer would "listen" to
16 > > you.
17 >
18 > In case this really is the (only) reason I'd find some configure-flag
19 > "--enable-devmode" in combination with some USE-flag "devmode" useful...
20
21 Alternatively, we just make it listen to PORTAGE_PYTHONPATH or something
22 instead. I guess that would be acceptable for merging.
23
24 > > However, I don't ever use it, so I don't care. I could apply a patch
25 > > such that it will always use the modules it was configured to do, but
26 > > I'm almost certain "upstream" won't merge that.
27 >
28 > Eventually we should add some 'unset PYTHONPATH' to both the bootstrap
29 > procedure as well as etc/profile ...
30
31 I think this is a very good thing in the bootstrap procedure... even
32 though I basically already assume there that you have a clean shell.
33 Mentioning somewhere at the top won't hurt in any case. Do you know
34 where you can find those .xml documents?
35
36 > Or just don't set PYTHONPATH in main gentoo, if portage knows where to
37 > find itself...
38
39 I guess this option is due to multiple reasons not an option.
43 Fabian Groffen
44 Gentoo on a different level
45 --
46 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list