From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix]-portage on native gentoo
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:04:23
1 On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 18:20 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 10-12-2007 17:27:03 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 > > > However, portage /does/ record which python it wants to use, so
4 > > > eventually it gets the "correct" python libraries when NOT using
5 > > > PYTHONPATH.
6 > >
7 > > Problem here is not that it finds wrong python modules, but wrong
8 > > *portage* modules, because PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/portage/pym
9 > >
10 > > It (seems to) work when I unset PYTHONPATH before doing prefix.
11 >
12 > Reason for this IMHO is for Portage developers to be able to tell
13 > portage where it /should/ look for its stuff by simply setting
14 > PYTHONPATH. If we ignore this var, Portage no longer would "listen" to
15 > you.
16
17 In case this really is the (only) reason I'd find some configure-flag
18 "--enable-devmode" in combination with some USE-flag "devmode" useful...
21 > However, I don't ever use it, so I don't care. I could apply a patch
22 > such that it will always use the modules it was configured to do, but
23 > I'm almost certain "upstream" won't merge that.
24
25 Eventually we should add some 'unset PYTHONPATH' to both the bootstrap
26 procedure as well as etc/profile ...
27
28 Or just don't set PYTHONPATH in main gentoo, if portage knows where to
29 find itself...
30
31 /haubi/
32 --