From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Installation workaround for findutils on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:26:34
1 On 30-03-2008 18:31:20 +0200, Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I just wanted to share my installation experience of Gentoo Prefix on Mac
5 > OS X 10.5.2 (with iPod SDK installed - not sure if that makes a
6 > difference).
7
8 Can you run /usr/bin/gcc --version and post the output, please?
9
10 > I followed this instructions
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-macos.xml
12 >
13 > I had no issue with the step './bootstrap-prefix.sh $EPREFIX/tmp findutils'
14 > but later on the linking failed at the 'emerge --oneshot findutils' step.
15 > The linker bailed out a signal 10 (bus error) and complained about missing
16 > symbol '_strrchr'.
17 > I looked around and it turned out that all current versions in the portage
18 > tree from 4.2.32 to 4.3.13 had the same issue. Further digging showed that
19 > the problem was actually the gnulib contained in the findutils.
20 > Particularly fts.c and progname.c are the only files which contain a call
21 > to strrchr().
22 > It turned out that I only could successfully bootstrap the findutils in the
23 > first step, because that step fetches findutils 4.2.31. And this old
24 > version of the findutils contains an old version of the gnulib which does
25 > not contain fts.c or progname.c.
26 > Thus I created an ebuild for findutils-4.2.31 by hand and emerge that with
27 > 'emerge --oneshot =findutils-4.2.31'. After that I was able to finish the
28 > Gentoo Prefix bootstrap. And after the 'emerge --sync' the upgrade to
29 > findutils-4.4.0 went smooth.
30
31 Looks like the compiler/linker installed by prefix is less buggy than
32 what's on your system now. At least that's a good thing ;)
36 Fabian Groffen
37 Gentoo on a different level
38 --
39 gentoo-alt@l.g.o mailing list