From: "Gibson
To: "gentoo-alt@l.g.o" <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] You too? youtoo!
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:23:00
1 On Aug 17, 2010, at 2:24 PM, Florian CROUZAT wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
7 > I'm not sure I understood your questions correctly, because you are basically describing the prefix project and calling it "a new idea" ?
8
9 He wants to have a single prefix, or more realistically, a collection of prefixes for different platforms built from one platform with a single command. i.e. On my Mac I'd have several different prefixes, for brevity say:
10 /x86-macos
11 /amd64-macos
12 /ppc-macos
13 /linux-x86_64
14 /windows
15 etc.
16
17 Then I could issue a command like: "yootoo gedit" and it would emerge gedit (and all of the dependencies) into /x86-macos (what gentoo-prefix does now). Then it would emerge gedit (and all of the dependencies, which I'd guess are different for different host platforms) for each of the other prefixes (probably using a cross-compiler) so that the resulting binaries could be run on other systems.
18
19 Unless cross-compilers support in portage has improved since the last time I checked (admittedly, a couple of years ago) this is not trivial.
20
21 John