From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] removal of some Prefix keywords
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 07:18:43
1 Hi Michael,
2
3 On 11-02-2017 19:59:23 +0100, Michael Weiser wrote:
4 > Hi Fabian,
5 >
6 > On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 08:50:38PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
7 >
8 > > ppc-macos
9 >
10 > > ppc-macos is a hard one for me personally, it's the first Prefix arch
11 > > ever, but I'm not aware of anyone having such machine. I'm considering
12 >
13 > I have a couple of iBook G4s sitting around and wanted to get
14 > llvm/clang-3.4+ going on them. But realistically, that effort is stalled
15 > and not likely to be revived.
16 >
17 > Dropping ppc-macos would greatly simplify the binutils-apple package by
18 > removing those huge, pet-project ppc-support restoration patches I
19 > introduced. The 8.0/8.1 update is pending anyways - I have preliminary
20 > ebuilds olocally and got stuck in updating exactly those PPC patches.
21 >
22 > BTW: Is there an OS X version support cutoff for x86/x64-macos? I'd
23 > guess, no one is really running 10.4/10.5 on Intel hardware any more, or
24 > is there?
25
26 I acquired two powermac G5s, one quad core (the latest/fastest ever
27 made) another with a single 1.8GHz core. Both have 6GB+ RAM. I'm
28 planning to put them into play, with the option of opening up to others
29 to try/work on them. Let me know if you're interested, at the moment
30 they are not online yet.
31
32 That said, I considered weeding the profiles, and only support 10.5
33 (Darwin 9) for ppc (maybe ppc64), and keep the last 3 or 4 releases for
34 Intel. Realistically speaking noone is testing the older editions any
35 more because Apple is insisting on upgrading.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Fabian
41 Fabian Groffen