From: Wolfram Kahl <kahl@××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] bootstrap-prefix.sh: Parallel make error with bison?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:34:32
1 On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 05:22:16PM +0000, Gibson, John wrote:
2 > On Aug 23, 2014, at 7:38 PM, Wolfram Kahl <kahl@××××××××××××.ca> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Is my impression right that ``make -j1'' would likely fix this?
5 > > If yes, how can I get it into the ``General Bootstrap Process''
6 > > only for bison?
7 > Per-package environment settings (including MAKEOPTS) can be set in $EPREFIX/etc/portage/package.env
8 > See here for details:
9 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Overriding_environment_variables_per_package
10
11 Thank you! I hadn't use that so far.
12
13 > Because you're bootstrapping you may need to put the customizations in multiple places (like $EPREFIX/tmp/etc/portage/package.env), but I'm not exactly sure.
14
15 I found no $EPREFIX/tmp/etc, and the fault was reported as already during stage 3,
16 so I just went with $EPREFIX/etc/portage/package.env and $EPREFIX/etc/portage/env.
20 > > And is there any way of restarting it from bison?
21 > I don't know if you can restart from just bison, but the script should at least remember which stage you were in (1, 2 or 3).
22
23 It actually did restart from right from bison --- neither its error message,
24 nor
25
26 https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap.xml
27
28 had induced any hope that it might, so that was a pleasant surprise!
29
30 However, there still was a ``make -j5'' during the bison make,
31 and it failed with a slightly different trace,
32 but still suggesting that at least three processes were trying to do the same thing,
33 and ran into a race condition.
34 I restarted bootstrap-prefix.sh and told it to use -j1,
35 and the bison build went through.
36 (Currently it is downloading gcc.)
37
38 So bison seems to need -j1.