From: Rabbe Fogelholm <rabbe@×××××××.se>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Mock up Linux bootstrap guide
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:25:10
1 Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 14:24 +0200, rabbe@×××××××.se wrote:
3 >> What a great initiative! At work I am using enterprise SUSE and Red Hat
4 >> machines that suffer from lack of Gentoo. I'll see if I can get Prefix
5 >> Gentoo up on any of them.
6 >
7 > For x86-linux as well as x86-solaris, using[1] eprefix-bootstrap[2]
8 > through prefix-launcher[3] should work already.
9 >
10 > Although prefix-launcher itself builds for ppc-aix, sparc-solaris,
11 > hppa-hpux, ia64-hpux, x86-interix, amd64-linux (and maybe others) too,
12 > the prefix-tree has not come that far yet ;)
13 >
14 > Why prefix-launcher and/or eprefix-bootstrap ?
15 >
16 > They do similar things as found in the guide[4], but more elaborate:
17 >
18 > prefix-launcher installs the different cmdline tools, including wget,
19 > GNU tar, GNU patch, gcc, python, bash as well as portage, but is able to
20 > patch them, which is required for some platforms.
21 >
22 > In the end it installs a script eprefix-bootstrap[4], which creates the
23 > fully portage-managed prefix tree.
24 >
25 > This is similar to what bootstrap-prefix.sh[5] is guided to do with
26 > python into $EPREFIX/tmp.
27 >
28 > eprefix-bootstrap then bootstraps your eprefix, including the last
29 > 'emerge -e world'.
30 >
31 > [1] http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/
32 > [2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/prefix-launcher/
33 >>> [3] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/bootstrap-linux.xml
34 > [4] http://prefix-launcher.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/prefix-launcher/eprefix-bootstrap/trunk/eprefix-bootstrap?view=markup
35 > [5] http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/alt/browser/trunk/prefix-overlay/scripts/bootstrap-prefix.sh
36 >
37 > so long,
38 > /haubi/
39
40 Thanks for the links! I might try them out too; any way that works is a
41 good way.
42
43 --Rabbe Fogelholm
46 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list