From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Mock up Linux bootstrap guide
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:14:10
1 On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 14:24 +0200, rabbe@×××××××.se wrote:
2 > What a great initiative! At work I am using enterprise SUSE and Red Hat
3 > machines that suffer from lack of Gentoo. I'll see if I can get Prefix
4 > Gentoo up on any of them.
5
6 For x86-linux as well as x86-solaris, using[1] eprefix-bootstrap[2]
7 through prefix-launcher[3] should work already.
8
9 Although prefix-launcher itself builds for ppc-aix, sparc-solaris,
10 hppa-hpux, ia64-hpux, x86-interix, amd64-linux (and maybe others) too,
11 the prefix-tree has not come that far yet ;)
12
13 Why prefix-launcher and/or eprefix-bootstrap ?
14
15 They do similar things as found in the guide[4], but more elaborate:
16
17 prefix-launcher installs the different cmdline tools, including wget,
18 GNU tar, GNU patch, gcc, python, bash as well as portage, but is able to
19 patch them, which is required for some platforms.
20
21 In the end it installs a script eprefix-bootstrap[4], which creates the
22 fully portage-managed prefix tree.
23
24 This is similar to what bootstrap-prefix.sh[5] is guided to do with
25 python into $EPREFIX/tmp.
26
27 eprefix-bootstrap then bootstraps your eprefix, including the last
28 'emerge -e world'.
29
30 [1] http://prefix-launcher.wiki.sourceforge.net/
31 [2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/prefix-launcher/