From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] AIX5.3 prefix bootstrap gcc-4.2.4 failure
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 07:50:50
1 Hi Benda,
2
3 heroxbd@×××××.com wrote:
4 > Dear guys and girls,
5 >
6 > I have successfully bootstraped Gentoo Prefix on some old Fedora Core 3
7 > machine on which I am only a normal user. I am very happy. Gentoo rocks!
8 > Alt rocks! Prefix rocks!
9
10 Thank you!
11
12 > Now I am locking my target on some AIX machines. But the problems come
13 > up in an early stage.
14 >
15 > First after STFW, I found I need to use prefix-launcher on
16 > sf.net. QUESTION: is prefix-launcher an official part of gentoo-prefix?
17 > I can see most recent svn ci's. why is it hosted on sf instead of
18 > gentoo?
19
20 Well, it is not "official" part of Gentoo Prefix, but it is a
21 de-facto requirement to bootstrap on AIX and HP-UX (maybe others).
22 It _may_ work to bootstrap without prefix-launcher there,
23 but it is a lot harder than on Linux and Solaris fex.
24 The reason it is on sf is that the "prefix"-idea was born before
25 "Gentoo Prefix" as the implementation.
26
27 > But prefix-launcher fail wildly when it's compiling gcc-4.2.4.
28
29 This is interesting: I'm using prefix-launcher (checking out from svn,
30 not the release-tarball) on a weekly automated basis...
31
32 > I was frustrated to do make clean && make install on prefix-launcher
33 > again and again. Finally I realized I have to compile gcc-4.2.4 by
34 > myself.
35
36 Well, prefix-launcher itself does not support 'make clean',
37 just 'make install' (where 'make' has to be GNU-make).
38
39 > But there comes the linker problem:
40 >
41 > There are always some unresolved symbol issue in stage 3 of
42 > bootstrap. After another round of STFW, esp. on gcc bugzilla, I think it
43 > is some path issue on AIX linker. ld just couldn't find the right
44 > library to link against.
45 >
46 > Any hints and ideas are appreciated.
47 >
48 > I attach the latest command (cmd) and linking message (debug).
49
50 I'm going to look why/where these symbols are resolved from here...
51
52 /haubi/
53 --
54 Michael Haubenwallner