From: Michael Weiser <michael@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Update clang failed (El Captain)
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 01:00:46
1 Hi Fabian,
2
3 On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 05:06:56PM +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4
5 > I've patched the function to return / in case xcodebuild returns nothing
6 > useful, such that we fall back to /usr/include, which makes the whole
7 > thing compile for me.
8
9 Well, I'd like to stress again that having Command Line Tools selected
10 as the currently selected Xcode does not seem to be supported by the
11 llvm cmake build system in Apple mode. As far as it's concerned someone
12 building llvm needs to have a proper Xcode selected using xcode-select
13 -s so it can find the SDKs within it.
14
15 Is it actually possible to have only Command Line Tools installed
16 (without Xcode) and get stuff to compile? I'm quite sure it was not in
17 the olden days (<= 10.6).
18
19 Also, I don't understand why there's a separate instance of the Command
20 Line Tools somewhere in /Library and how it happens to be the default
21 "Xcode" for some/most people. And also2, I don't understand why
22 xcode-select even accepts it as a parameter for -s. This is all very
23 weird.
24
25 Anyway, I thought of your solution as well while paddling along the
26 Peene. :) But on second thought I was wondering if we shouldn't patch
27 any SDK selection and osx-min-version/OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET for the host
28 system (!) out of llvm/clang for prefix altogether. Prefix is always
29 meant for the host system, right? Without any of this selection stuff,
30 the compiler will fall back to the default include paths like
31 /usr/include anyways and we eliminate a whole lot of possible grief in
32 the future. IIRC I did this for 3.4.2 for exactly that reason but that
33 got lost on the move to cmake some time around 3.7, I think.
34
35 The only place I can think of where we'd need SDKs in the context of
36 prefix is if we wanted to provide a fully cross-capable Apple-like
37 toolchain for iOS and WatchOS and stuff like that. While binutils-apple
38 should be able to provide that I guess no-one's ever even tested or
39 played with it in that direction. And again, we'd need a proper Xcode
40 installed and selected to find and use the proper SDKs for that. Full
41 circle...
42 --
43 Thanks, Micha
44 Ich mag Kaba!