From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix][solaris] shell problem inportage/configure
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 07:59:36
1 On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 22:13 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 19-04-2007 17:30:27 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 <snip>
4 > >
5 > > Maybe setting CONFIG_SHELL=${EPREFIX}/bin/bash could work too ?
6 >
7 > Ahhh... anyone have objections on setting this in the profiles? It
8 > would just make any configure package use bash from the prefix, instead
9 > of /bin/sh, which feels somehow a bit safer, even though it should work
10 > fine in theory.
11
12 For AIX, most users really want prefix-bash for performance reasons.
13
14 For others like Solaris, the question is:
15 Are we willing to test/debug/fix/upstream-report such bugs ?
16
17 If we are, then we should keep using /bin/sh.
18 If not, then we want to use prefix-bash.
19
20 One thing to keep in mind: Who else if not prefix-portage has that power
21 to test/debug/fix such upstream bugs on that range of platforms ?
22
23 Using prefix-bash can always be the quick workaround for such bugs, if
24 one does not have time to debug immediately - let the user choose!
25
26 So maybe we want some FEATURE, or simply introduce users on how to set
27 CONFIG_SHELL in etc/profile.bashrc, to switch between /bin/sh and
28 prefix-bash (defaulting to prefix-bash for aix, to /bin/sh for others) ?
29
30 /haubi/
34 Salomon Automation GmbH - Friesachstrasse 15 - A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
35 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Friesach bei Graz
36 UID-NR:ATU28654300 - Firmenbuchnummer: 49324 K
37 Firmenbuchgericht: Landesgericht für Zivilrechtssachen Graz
40 gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list