From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix][solaris] shell problem inportage/configure
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 08:08:40
1 On 07-05-2007 09:59:02 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 22:13 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > On 19-04-2007 17:30:27 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
4 > <snip>
5 > > >
6 > > > Maybe setting CONFIG_SHELL=${EPREFIX}/bin/bash could work too ?
7 > >
8 > > Ahhh... anyone have objections on setting this in the profiles? It
9 > > would just make any configure package use bash from the prefix, instead
10 > > of /bin/sh, which feels somehow a bit safer, even though it should work
11 > > fine in theory.
12 >
13 > For AIX, most users really want prefix-bash for performance reasons.
14 >
15 > For others like Solaris, the question is:
16 > Are we willing to test/debug/fix/upstream-report such bugs ?
17
18 You have to stop support crappy stuff at some moment. If it's old
19 enough, no more energy should be put into working with such things, IMO.
20
21 > If we are, then we should keep using /bin/sh.
22 > If not, then we want to use prefix-bash.
23 >
24 > One thing to keep in mind: Who else if not prefix-portage has that power
25 > to test/debug/fix such upstream bugs on that range of platforms ?
26
27 Many, many, many others. But they usually tend to just workaround the
28 problem in a way that "works for them" to get the desired binary.
29
30 > Using prefix-bash can always be the quick workaround for such bugs, if
31 > one does not have time to debug immediately - let the user choose!
32 >
33 > So maybe we want some FEATURE, or simply introduce users on how to set
34 > CONFIG_SHELL in etc/profile.bashrc, to switch between /bin/sh and
35 > prefix-bash (defaulting to prefix-bash for aix, to /bin/sh for others) ?
36
37 While prefix bash may be faster/better on AIX, on darwin and sunos
38 /bin/sh is much faster (it's nearly 6 times smaller). Point here is
39 that I think you should either do it, or not do it. If AIX is
40 inherently broken, then on AIX we use prefix bash. If on Solaris we use
41 /bin/sh, we should avoid working around it (such as in gcc ebuild) to
42 keep it clean. Either it sucks, or it does not.
43
44 BTW, on most Linuxes today there is no /bin/sh, but only bash, so
45 actually on Linux we better use prefix-bash, simply because we have that
46 one under control, and using /bin/sh is just using a bash that we don't
47 know.
50 Fabian Groffen
51 Gentoo on a different level
52 --