From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix][solaris] shell problem inportage/configure
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 08:08:40
On 07-05-2007 09:59:02 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 22:13 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote: > > On 19-04-2007 17:30:27 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote: > <snip> > > > > > > Maybe setting CONFIG_SHELL=${EPREFIX}/bin/bash could work too ? > > > > Ahhh... anyone have objections on setting this in the profiles? It > > would just make any configure package use bash from the prefix, instead > > of /bin/sh, which feels somehow a bit safer, even though it should work > > fine in theory. > > For AIX, most users really want prefix-bash for performance reasons. > > For others like Solaris, the question is: > Are we willing to test/debug/fix/upstream-report such bugs ?
You have to stop support crappy stuff at some moment. If it's old enough, no more energy should be put into working with such things, IMO.
> If we are, then we should keep using /bin/sh. > If not, then we want to use prefix-bash. > > One thing to keep in mind: Who else if not prefix-portage has that power > to test/debug/fix such upstream bugs on that range of platforms ?
Many, many, many others. But they usually tend to just workaround the problem in a way that "works for them" to get the desired binary.
> Using prefix-bash can always be the quick workaround for such bugs, if > one does not have time to debug immediately - let the user choose! > > So maybe we want some FEATURE, or simply introduce users on how to set > CONFIG_SHELL in etc/profile.bashrc, to switch between /bin/sh and > prefix-bash (defaulting to prefix-bash for aix, to /bin/sh for others) ?
While prefix bash may be faster/better on AIX, on darwin and sunos /bin/sh is much faster (it's nearly 6 times smaller). Point here is that I think you should either do it, or not do it. If AIX is inherently broken, then on AIX we use prefix bash. If on Solaris we use /bin/sh, we should avoid working around it (such as in gcc ebuild) to keep it clean. Either it sucks, or it does not. BTW, on most Linuxes today there is no /bin/sh, but only bash, so actually on Linux we better use prefix-bash, simply because we have that one under control, and using /bin/sh is just using a bash that we don't know. -- Fabian Groffen Gentoo on a different level -- gentoo-alt@g.o mailing list