From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] gnulib (required for java on aix)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:07:23
1 On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 09:40 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 31-07-2008 13:48:06 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 > > When using GNU getopt, these warnings go away on solaris ;)
4 >
5 > gnulib is in the tree now, and it seems to work. Great!
6 >
7 > However, looking at the ebuild changes, I immediately went wondering...
8
9 The current somehow large ebuild changes are a first shot to get some
10 experience and because of exactly this discussion missing. I've waited
11 four you to get a look at these changes ;)
14 > In Prefix we are very much GNU-minded. Some platforms (e.g. Solaris 10
15 > and Darwin) have mostly sufficient implementations of e.g. getopt.
16 > However, they are not GNU. Do we want to use them? Sometimes they
17 > appear to be a little bit different, or just insufficient. Interix
18 > seems to miss them entirely.
19
20 I'd say use the GNU ones if gnulib detects they're better.
23 > In other words, for those platforms which do not use elibc_glibc, why
24 > don't we install gnulib as part of @system,
25
26 Yes, so there's no need to add an explicit platform specific DEPEND.
27
28 > and have the linker wrapper inject -lgnu?
29
30 No (but maybe it's worth a try).
31 Any package that requires libgnu should activate it explicitly.
32 But it's fine to have some eclass function which does nothing for
33 elibc_glibc, and adds proper flags for others, so the activation is a
34 one-liner per ebuild.
35
36 Iff it is added by default, we definitely need a way to disable this,
37 see below.
38
39 Question is how many packages break when it's added by default, compared
40 to how many packages need it.
41
42 > (Assuming we would change the install location to
43 > /usr/lib. That means we would automatically always take the GNU
44 > replacements, without any extra efforts. Drawback, if a platform
45 > implements vasprintfi, dup2 or something, we add extra bloat to the
46 > binary, and a possibly not as efficient implementation as the platform's
47 > native implementation. Thoughts?
48
49 gnulib does not put any function into libgnu.a if the host os' libc is
50 sufficient. Fex you get an empty libgnu.a with elibc_glibc.
51
52 Now, when -lgnu is there always, we cannot rebuild gnulib itself, as
53 it's configure would detect sufficient "libc", and build an empty
54 libgnu.a.
55 This is the main reason why not to add -lgnu always, or the need to
56 disable it.
57
58 /haubi/
59 --