From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [prefix] gnulib (required for java on aix)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 07:41:01
1 On 31-07-2008 13:48:06 +0200, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > When using GNU getopt, these warnings go away on solaris ;)
3
4 gnulib is in the tree now, and it seems to work. Great!
5
6 However, looking at the ebuild changes, I immediately went wondering...
7
8 In Prefix we are very much GNU-minded. Some platforms (e.g. Solaris 10
9 and Darwin) have mostly sufficient implementations of e.g. getopt.
10 However, they are not GNU. Do we want to use them? Sometimes they
11 appear to be a little bit different, or just insufficient. Interix
12 seems to miss them entirely.
13
14 In other words, for those platforms which do not use elibc_glibc, why
15 don't we install gnulib as part of @system, and have the linker wrapper
16 inject -lgnu? (Assuming we would change the install location to
17 /usr/lib. That means we would automatically always take the GNU
18 replacements, without any extra efforts. Drawback, if a platform
19 implements vasprintfi, dup2 or something, we add extra bloat to the
20 binary, and a possibly not as efficient implementation as the platform's
21 native implementation. Thoughts?
25 Fabian Groffen
26 Gentoo on a different level