From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] emerge coreutils warning about su not being available
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 10:31:49
1 On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 10:11 +1000, Peter Ansell wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am testing out the prefix overlay on OS X Leopard and I came across
5 > a warning when emerging coreutils, not sure whether it matters.
6 >
7 > rm: /Users/peter/Library/Gentoo/var/tmp/portage/sys-apps/coreutils-6.9-r1/image/Users/peter/Library/Gentoo//usr/bin/su:
8 > No such file or directory
9
10 You simply can ignore this message by now:
11 On main Gentoo Linux (where all the ebuilds come from), 'su' is built
12 within coreutils.
13
14 But Gentoo Linux does not use 'su' from coreutils, but shadow.
15 On your platform, 'su' is not built within coreutils for some reason.
16 Thus, the removal of 'su' fails, because it is not there.
19 > Potentially it could have installed something to $EPREFIX/usr/bin that
20 > it didn't want to, but I am not sure what it was. The error about su
21 > not being a valid command is the worrying bit I guess.
22
23 The error is not "su being an invalid command", but
24 "rm cannot remove su: No such file or directory"
25
26 Eventually, the 'rm' bits in coreutils.ebuild should be done with '-f'
27 to avoid such a message.
28
29 /haubi/
30 --