From: Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Is gentoo-prefix a solution for me?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:23:48
1 Hello folk,
2
3 I am currently working on a tool, a USB-stick,
4 to set up a typical freelancers development environment the easy way.
7 1.) I want to run it on any computer, --> Win, Lin, Mac.
8
9 So it has to be platform independent.
12 2.) I want install it up and running.
13
14 the usual OSS stuff: SVN, Eclipse, Apache, Java, etc.
15
16 The auto configuration is the task of my tool.
19 3.) Best to do it without root permissions
20
21 in example in $HOME/workspace/
22
23 OK, guess starting Apache requires root privileges.
26 4.) A want to versionize also the environment sources (servers)
27
28 I want be able to restore any development version
29 of a project in it's original runtime environment.
32 Hope you get the basic ideas.
33
34 My researches brought me to the gentoo prefix.
35
36 * it defines itself as a second level management tool
37 * it says it can work on all 3 OSS types
40 Do you think gentoo prefix matches my requirements?
41
42 Would it give a suitable base for the tool?
43
44 Is is stable enough?
47 If it can do the job, I would like to join the team,
48 to bring back my efforts into the prefix project.
49
50 Regards
51
52 Al