From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Is gentoo-prefix a solution for me?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:42:28
1 On 17-08-2010 13:23:32 +0200, Elmar Hinz wrote:
2 > 3.) Best to do it without root permissions
3 >
4 > in example in $HOME/workspace/
5 >
6 > OK, guess starting Apache requires root privileges.
7
8 depends if you want to use a privileged port or not
9
10 > 4.) A want to versionize also the environment sources (servers)
11 >
12 > I want be able to restore any development version
13 > of a project in it's original runtime environment.
14
15 Not sure what you mean exactly, but I think either your scripts/tools or
16 regular versioning of packages can help you out.
17
18 > Hope you get the basic ideas.
19 >
20 > My researches brought me to the gentoo prefix.
21 >
22 > * it defines itself as a second level management tool
23
24 right, it lives on top of the host
25
26 > * it says it can work on all 3 OSS types
27
28 Windows one limited on Interix, very limited native windows, cross built
29 from Interix.
30
31 > Do you think gentoo prefix matches my requirements?
32
33 Your application requests may need some work, though I'm not sure if the
34 overhead of Gentoo Prefix is worth your goals. Before you can e.g. just
35 get SVN, you've already installed yourself lots of stuff including a
36 compiler.
37
38 > Would it give a suitable base for the tool?
39 >
40 > Is is stable enough?
41
42 I use it full-time in my everyday live, but your mileage may vary ;)
43
44 > If it can do the job, I would like to join the team,
45 > to bring back my efforts into the prefix project.
46
47 We always welcome that, provided that there is place for a long-time
48 commitment. Contributions are always more than welcome, of course.
52 Fabian Groffen
53 Gentoo on a different level