From: Elmar Hinz <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Is gentoo-prefix a solution for me?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:36:08
1 >> * it says it can work on all 3 OSS types
2 >
3 > Windows one limited on Interix, very limited native windows, cross built
4 > from Interix.
7 Wikipedia writes Interix only is build into enterprise editions, which
8 sounds like
9 a limitation. Do you see a GPL compatible way to get it running on standard
10 editions?
11
12 >> Do you think gentoo prefix matches my requirements?
13 >
14 > Your application requests may need some work, though I'm not sure if the
15 > overhead of Gentoo Prefix is worth your goals.  Before you can e.g. just
16 > get SVN, you've already installed yourself lots of stuff including a
17 > compiler.
18
19 The alternative would be, to store binary versions of apache and co. into
20 SVN. That for different architectures. Maybe better.
21
22 I think it doesn't matter if an automated build takes 15 minutes. You want
23 do that every morning, but it is still much faster, than setting up a
24 development environment by hand, especially a concrete one from the history.
27 > We always welcome that, provided that there is place for a long-time
28 > commitment.  Contributions are always more than welcome, of course.
31 Well if I decide to build that tool upon prefix, that automatically includes
32 a long term commitment, even if only a few hours per month. My daily
33 work, and probably that of others will depend upon, if the tool gets a
34 success.
35
36 Regards
37