From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Is gentoo-prefix a solution for me?
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 16:47:58
1 On 08/17/2010 02:35 PM, Elmar Hinz wrote:
2 >>> * it says it can work on all 3 OSS types
3 >>
4 >> Windows one limited on Interix, very limited native windows, cross built
5 >> from Interix.
6 >
7 > Wikipedia writes Interix only is build into enterprise editions, which
8 > sounds like a limitation.
9 > Do you see a GPL compatible way to get it running on standard
10 > editions?
11
12 Iff you can get your final image to contain native windows binaries only
13 (depends on the packages you need to provide there), you could use some
14 enterprise or server edition as build environment, which does "cross"-compile
15 (well, somehow) the native windows part.
16
17 But still, the native windows part has very limited abilities:
18 We do not build bash (and many others) as native windows binary, so without
19 Interix you won't be able to use any shell-scripts, or do anything with
20 unix-like paths.
21
22 OTOH: In theory(!) it should be possible to use any POSIX emulation layer
23 such as Cygwin or even MinGW instead of Interix...
24
25 /haubi/
26 --
27 Michael Haubenwallner