From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gemato in prefix
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 09:45:06
1 On 28-02-2018 12:34:31 -0600, R0b0t1 wrote:
2 > Can you not use webrsync-gpg for the time being?
3
4 I'm affraid not, we do "sign" the snapshots, but they are just tarred up
5 versions of the rsync tree as generated. The same tree we're talking
6 about here.
7
8 > Incremental updates of authenticated files would be best, but until
9 > that can be done in a completely foolproof way I would wait so as to
10 > not give yourself a false sense of security.
11
12 Honestly I never understood why Portage doesn't just verify the paths to
13 the ebuilds it eventually wants to install. Anyway, for me the goal is
14 to get some sense of verification, the ultimate sense of security is
15 kind of pointless, since you can point it at any random host, and any
16 random joe can generate any random, but valid(ating) tree.
17
18 Fabian
22 Fabian Groffen
23 Gentoo on a different level