From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gemato in prefix
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 18:34:35
1 On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM, Michael Weiser
2 <michael@×××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 > Hi Fabian,
4 >
5 > On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 08:41:57PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
6 >
7 >> Thing is I once believed Portage checked manifest and all, but it seems
8 >> not to do anything any more, so my idea of things being OK may have been
9 >
10 > I also was a bit surprised to find that portage didn't authenticate and
11 > verify the tree at all. Stumbling over webrsync more or less by
12 > accident, I've been using it as the next best thing in the interim.
13 >
14 > From what I was able to find on the net, there's never been any
15 > actual implementation before Michal Gorny started gemato (see
16 > https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0074.html#motivation wrt GLEP-58 from
17 > 2008 never being implemented). After using gemato on Gentoo Linux as a
18 > very early adopter I'm eager to get something comparable going in Prefix
19 > Mac.
22 Can you not use webrsync-gpg for the time being?
23
24 Incremental updates of authenticated files would be best, but until
25 that can be done in a completely foolproof way I would wait so as to
26 not give yourself a false sense of security.
27
28 Cheers,
29 R0b0t1