From: Johan Hattne <johan.hattne@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 04:19:00
1 On 30 Mar 2010, at 03:13, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 > On 30-03-2010 07:19:02 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
4 >> just to chime in on the movability: i successfully moved whole prefix
5 >> installations to other directories, and they worked fine (hint: i used
6 >> chpathtool to adjust paths) the only limitation is, that the path has to
7 >> be the exact same length (or less long, but that one didn't work for me
8 >> yet, but that could be fixable). of course this is not really
9 >> convenient, but it should be possibly for you to create
10 >>
11 >> "/home/user/prefix-with-long-path1"
12 >> and
13 >> "/cluster/disk25/user/prefix-short"
14 >>
15 >> those would be exchangeable. Of course chpathtool is possibly still not
16 >> perfect, and i observed the one or the other segfault with certain files
17 >> (none of those lately though). However you're free to fix it ;)
18 >
19 > That could match chpathtool's changes that it got recently. Instead of
20 > trying to shorten paths, it now pads them with leading slashes, e.g.:
21 >
22 > original prefix: /path/to/my/long/prefix
23 > target prefix: ////////my/short/prefix
24 >
25 > As a result, the target prefix is always as long as the original prefix,
26 > be it somewhat ugly. We found that this solves misc issues that you get
27 > when you suddenly make a string smaller ;)
28
29 Apologies for resurrecting this topic, and I just realised I've probably been confusing chpathtool with chrpath during all previous discussions, but I haven't seen any mention of patchelf. I got the Intel compiler running in a Linux-prefixed-portage last week.
30
31 // Cheers; Johan