From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Gentoo prefix with host system toolchain?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:11:48
1 On 30-03-2010 07:19:02 +0200, Markus Duft wrote:
2 > just to chime in on the movability: i successfully moved whole prefix
3 > installations to other directories, and they worked fine (hint: i used
4 > chpathtool to adjust paths) the only limitation is, that the path has to
5 > be the exact same length (or less long, but that one didn't work for me
6 > yet, but that could be fixable). of course this is not really
7 > convenient, but it should be possibly for you to create
8 >
9 > "/home/user/prefix-with-long-path1"
10 > and
11 > "/cluster/disk25/user/prefix-short"
12 >
13 > those would be exchangeable. Of course chpathtool is possibly still not
14 > perfect, and i observed the one or the other segfault with certain files
15 > (none of those lately though). However you're free to fix it ;)
16
17 That could match chpathtool's changes that it got recently. Instead of
18 trying to shorten paths, it now pads them with leading slashes, e.g.:
19
20 original prefix: /path/to/my/long/prefix
21 target prefix: ////////my/short/prefix
22
23 As a result, the target prefix is always as long as the original prefix,
24 be it somewhat ugly. We found that this solves misc issues that you get
25 when you suddenly make a string smaller ;)
29 Fabian Groffen
30 Gentoo on a different level