From: Johan Hattne <johan.hattne@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] EPREFIX vs EROOT
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 08:02:40
1 On Aug 5, 2007, at 22:14 , Fabian Groffen wrote:
2
3 > On 05-08-2007 20:24:52 +0200, Johan Hattne wrote:
4 >> How do I know when to use EROOT and when to use EPREFIX?
5 >>
6 >> I haven't found any documentation on this (but haven't looked for
7 >> it in a
8 >> while either) -- the issue was briefly mentioned in something I
9 >> saw on
10 >> bugzilla some time ago.
11 >
12 > Given [1], we know that EROOT is ROOT + EPREFIX.
13 > The rule is simple and automatable, whether or not it is "correct",
14 > for
15 > prefix this rule always holds:
16 >
17 > If the main tree ebuild uses ROOT, we respect ROOT and usually use
18 > EROOT, however if the main tree doesn't use ROOT, we only add the
19 > offset, thus EPREFIX.
20 >
21 > This rule basically means that you /never/ add EROOT yourself, if
22 > there
23 > isn't a ROOT in the main tree ebuild. Repeating: whether or not
24 > that is
25 > "correct", for prefix this rule always holds. Rationale is simple: if
26 > it is a bug, it is a bug that should be fixed "upstream" (in the main
27 > tree), and that fix propagated to prefix. We (I) don't want any extra
28 > differences between main tree and prefix, to keep maintenance (and
29 > understanding) low.
30
31 Thanks, that clears it up!
32