From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] EPREFIX vs EROOT
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 20:14:43
1 On 05-08-2007 20:24:52 +0200, Johan Hattne wrote:
2 > How do I know when to use EROOT and when to use EPREFIX?
3 >
4 > I haven't found any documentation on this (but haven't looked for it in a
5 > while either) -- the issue was briefly mentioned in something I saw on
6 > bugzilla some time ago.
7
8 Given [1], we know that EROOT is ROOT + EPREFIX.
9 The rule is simple and automatable, whether or not it is "correct", for
10 prefix this rule always holds:
11
12 If the main tree ebuild uses ROOT, we respect ROOT and usually use
13 EROOT, however if the main tree doesn't use ROOT, we only add the
14 offset, thus EPREFIX.
15
16 This rule basically means that you /never/ add EROOT yourself, if there
17 isn't a ROOT in the main tree ebuild. Repeating: whether or not that is
18 "correct", for prefix this rule always holds. Rationale is simple: if
19 it is a bug, it is a bug that should be fixed "upstream" (in the main
20 tree), and that fix propagated to prefix. We (I) don't want any extra
21 differences between main tree and prefix, to keep maintenance (and
22 understanding) low.
25 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/techdocs.xml
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level