From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: "gentoo-alt@l.g.o" <gentoo-alt@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Problems with getting gentoo scientific packages installed
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 03:35:34
1 Hi JC,
2
3 On Sun, Jan 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM, JC D <mail2jcdx@×××××.de> wrote:
4 > Hi Group!
5 >
6 > I am using gentoo_prefix on a Mac OS 10.10.
7 >
8 > I am trying to install some packages, especially scientific stuff like
9 > maxima/wxmaxima, paraview and mayavi.
10 > None of these packages works right now and I suspect a major problem with my
11 > gentoo_prefix.
12 > The process fails and one of the messages is: "Darwin patch set
13 > 'darwin-conf' failed to apply!"
14 > What does this mean? Is this an "error" of the ebuild or do I have some
15 > configuration problem on my system that need to be fixec?
16
17 There is probably no problem with your Gentoo Prefix installation. It
18 looks like you are trying to install some packages that have never
19 been tested and/or ported to to x64-macos architecture. You will have
20 various levels of success here, ranging from easy (just add the
21 keyword and it will work) to very difficult (rewrite the poorly
22 written scientific package build system to support an offset). At
23 least, if the package exists in Macports, it has some chance of
24 success in Gentoo Prefix :)
25
26 > My ACCEPT_KEYWORDS ist "~x64-macos". Does this mean I am using a "unstable"
27 > branch? (This is not from my make.conf)
28
29 Actually, there is no 'stable' concept in Gentoo Prefix. You are
30 always using latest version of packages. The Gentoo Prefix team simply
31 does not have the staff to maintain different stable/unstable trees.
32 It normally works out pretty well by leveraging some of the work of
33 Gentoo Linux developers and rely on the fact that massively broken
34 packages do not appear in ~arch on a often.
35
36 > I am asking, because I could e.g. not install eselect-opengl-1.3.1 but I
37 > after masking this version I could emerge eselect-opengl-1.2.7 without
38 > problems.
39
40 Hard to say the problem with the latest version. Did you look at the
41 bug tracker or file an issue?
42
43 > Would it be possible to set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="+x64-macos" to switch to the
44 > stable branch? And how do I have to reemerge my system in case I do this?
45 >
46 > I am a little desperate because I would like to use gentoo_prefix as a
47 > replace for Macports. However, right now I get no package installed.
48 > Please let me know which information you need. Right now I do not know where
49 > to start...
50
51 If you have successfully bootstrapped, you actually have several
52 packages installed :)
53
54 Hope that helps a little bit,
55 Jeremy