From: Dirk Tilger <dirk@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] enewuser() and consorts in eutils.eclass
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 22:05:01
1 Hi,
2
3 first of all. I'm very happy that there is such a thing as Gentoo-alt
4 and that there is such a thing as prefixed portage. I have been moving
5 from system to system in the past and I am so happy that instead of
6 struggling with the new world (Darwin) I can just put the accustomed one
7 (Gentoo) in a corner.
8
9 I've found the following code in usr/portage/eclass/eutils.eclass:
10 | enewuser() {
11 | # in prefix portage, we don't know how to handle this yet
12 | ewarn "'enewuser()' currently disabled in prefixed portage"
13 | return 0
14
15 I was wondering what the motivation behind this is, i.e. what you guys
16 count as the issues that have to be addressed (and that are not
17 addressed in the current form), before this function and its friends in
18 eutils can be called again.
19
20 I have been in the need for proper service startup/shutdown scripts for
21 some of the services I had ported lately and have spend the last two
22 days porting the existing service script architecture to prefixed
23 portage and Darwin. So I got now the best service scripts out there.
24
25 The final issue I'm facing now is that some daemons better run under
26 their own user accounts. I was wondering if for the time being some
27 compromise between the existing functionality and the reasons for
28 disabling the functionality can be found.
29
30 I've seen parts in enewuser() for example calling `dscl` to create
31 Darwin NetInfo user accounts. If the scripts shouldn't be called
32 automatically, maybe we can generate shell scripts in the meantime with
33 the appropriate commands (leaving the warning intact) for the
34 administrator to run manually. That would allow some last tweaks (and
35 shift the blame in case of mess-up).
36
37 Any ideas or suggestions?
38