From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] enewuser() and consorts in eutils.eclass
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 07:49:55
1 On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 01:53 +0400, Dirk Tilger wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > first of all. I'm very happy that there is such a thing as Gentoo-alt
5 > and that there is such a thing as prefixed portage. I have been moving
6 > from system to system in the past and I am so happy that instead of
7 > struggling with the new world (Darwin) I can just put the accustomed one
8 > (Gentoo) in a corner.
9 >
10 > I've found the following code in usr/portage/eclass/eutils.eclass:
11 > | enewuser() {
12 > | # in prefix portage, we don't know how to handle this yet
13 > | ewarn "'enewuser()' currently disabled in prefixed portage"
14 > | return 0
15 >
16 > I was wondering what the motivation behind this is, i.e. what you guys
17 > count as the issues that have to be addressed (and that are not
18 > addressed in the current form), before this function and its friends in
19 > eutils can be called again.
20
21 In prefix, emerge not necessarily runs as 'root', thus has no permission
22 to create new users directly.
25 > I have been in the need for proper service startup/shutdown scripts for
26 > some of the services I had ported lately and have spend the last two
27 > days porting the existing service script architecture to prefixed
28 > portage and Darwin. So I got now the best service scripts out there.
29 >
30 > The final issue I'm facing now is that some daemons better run under
31 > their own user accounts. I was wondering if for the time being some
32 > compromise between the existing functionality and the reasons for
33 > disabling the functionality can be found.
34 >
35 > I've seen parts in enewuser() for example calling `dscl` to create
36 > Darwin NetInfo user accounts. If the scripts shouldn't be called
37 > automatically, maybe we can generate shell scripts in the meantime with
38 > the appropriate commands (leaving the warning intact) for the
39 > administrator to run manually. That would allow some last tweaks (and
40 > shift the blame in case of mess-up).
41 > Any ideas or suggestions?
42
43 Years ago, I had exactly such an implementation for initialdays-prefix,
44 which unfortunately did not make its way into nowadays-prefix:
45 http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-osx/msg_02360.xml
46
47 It will need some love, at least for
48 *) ${ROOT} -> ${EROOT}
49 *) ${AFFIX} -> "usr/"
50 *) ${USERLAND} -> ${CHOST}
51 *) more platforms (not just Darwin, BSD, Linux)
52 *) test it
53
54 Just want to define this as one possible solution, not the _right_ one,
55 more ideas welcome.
56
57 /haubi/
58 --