From: Johan Hattne <johan.hattne@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Cc: Justin <jlec@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-alt] Binary-only distributions on linux
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 01:56:20
1 Dear all;
2
3 I've been playing around a bit with prefixifying ebuilds for software
4 that is only distributed in binary form. An example of what I mean is
5 dev-lang/icc, but there are many others. I'm not done playing, but
6 since dev-lang/icc and friends were prefix-keyworded recently, I'd like
7 to bring it up, nevertheless.
8
9 Static binaries are OK, but problems crop up during dynamic linking:
10 whether there is an rpath in the binary, or the runtime linker of the
11 host uses the paths from its configuration files, we'll probably end up
12 linking against libraries outside the prefix. For an x86 prefix on an
13 x86 host things may still appear to work, but you'll notice as soon as
14 you run the x86 programs on an amd64 host.
15
16 As far as I can see, setting the rpath is one way to solve the problem,
17 and I've been toying around with patchelf to accomplish that (chrpath
18 won't work, because it doesn't allow rpaths to grow). To my mind, the
19 process is conceptually similar to the "shebang prefixing" that happens
20 for shell scripts, so I'm wondering whether it would make sense to
21 implement it in a similar fashion, e.g.
22
23 for each ELF file {
24 prepend ${EPREFIX} to each rpath element
25 prepend ${EPREFIX}/lib:${EPREFIX}/usr/lib to rpath
26 }
27
28 somewhere in portage. At least this allowed me to use icc to compile a
29 32 bit helloworld using an x86-prefix on both x86 and amd64.
30
31 // Cheers; Johan