From: Burcin Erocal <burcin@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] prefix overlay moved from svn to mercurial
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 12:31:05
1 On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 13:10:54 +0100
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 17-01-2014 13:00:58 +0100, Burcin Erocal wrote:
5 > > Now that overlays.gentoo.org is back and the SVN repository works
6 > > again, do you plan to go back to using the original repository?
7 >
8 > Since Gentoo infra has expressed before that they would rather get rid
9 > of it, than to keep on supporting it, no. I think the mercurial
10 > version is more beneficial for everyone involved.
11
12 OK. It shouldn't be a problem to switch to the new repository. I just
13 want to avoid having to switch back afterwards. :)
14
15 > > I maintain a git mirror of the prefix-overlay repository [1] for the
16 > > update scripts in lmonade [2]
17 >
18 > Cool, I didn't know. I intended to import the svn history, but it
19 > takes a long while, and I frankly don't know what's the benefit. So
20 > unless someone has an urgent need for the old history, I think I'll
21 > keep it as is, since the point of the repo is to disappear anyway.
22
23 I'd really like to see the prefix-overlay disappear and be properly
24 integrated in the gx86 repo. But that still seems like a distant
25 dream...
26
27 > > I am asking to see if I should change the cron jobs to convert from
28 > > the mercurial repo instead of SVN.
29 >
30 > I think you should. Not sure what kind of mess it caused for you, but
31 > if I can do something for you to make it easier, then let me know.
32
33 Thanks! It looks like git can handle this without too much trouble. No
34 changes are needed on your end.
35
36 For the record, I will keep the history in the git mirror and graft the
37 (git version of the) mercurial repository on to that. Old history was
38 already imported into the main lmonade repository. It will be simpler
39 to adjust the prefix-overlay mirror to the changes.
42 Many thanks for all your work on gentoo-prefix.
43
44 Cheers,
45 Burcin