From: Marshall McMullen <marshall.mcmullen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [AIX] subversion failures
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:34:47
1 I'm really at a loss here. I did inspect the directories that were failing,
2 and they don't look any different than ones that updated correctly. Just to
3 be safe, I tried changing ownership and group of the directories failing, but
4 it still fails. As for 'tar -p', I just used haubi's prefix-launcher, and
5 I don't think it does that.
6
7 The only other related thing to note is that on the directory in question
8 that is my EPREFIX, it's group is not the same as my primary group. e.g.,
9 instead of being owned by "mdmcmull:mdmcmull" it is "mdmcmull:p/gnu/admin",
10 which I am a member of. I'm not sure if that's affecting it... but if it
11 was, I would think it would continue failing even after I remove the
12 affected directories.
13
14 The only other note I'd have is that there does seem to be a substantial
15 lag in the file system in question. Not sure if that might be contributing.
16
17 Anyhow, I've got a valid workaround, so I'm happy for now :-).
18
19 ----- Original Message -----
20 From: "Peter Ansell" <ansell.peter@×××××.com>
21 To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
22 Sent: Wednesday, November 7, 2007 3:13:00 PM (GMT-0600) America/Chicago
23 Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [AIX] subversion failures
24
25 I suspect at least the cross-platform .svn directories issue is not to
26 blame as it was able to update a file previous to that. The only place
27 that I have heard of where .svn directories conflict with hosts in any
28 way is with ASP.NET web applications, which makes TortoiseSvn on
29 windows use _svn directories instead. Deleting subdirectories followed
30 by updating using the current directories .svn directory as a basis is
31 a common way to restore directories using svn and as such is expected
32 to work if the subdirectory was broken but the parent was not.
33
34 I wonder what ls -la on the files and files/.svn directories would
35 have looked like previous to deleting them. :)
36
37 I get issues like that if I accidently attempt to do svn update using
38 a different user btw. Ie, if I am in a root shell and I do that I have
39 to chown all the directories back to my normal user before svn update
40 works again as the normal user. Did you use the tar -p option by
41 accident?
42
43 Peter
44