From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Dropping ia64-linux - anyone care?
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:38:38
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Burcin Erocal <burcin@××××××.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:29:00 -0600 > Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote: > >> Fabian and I discussed dropping ia64-linux support. Time to face >> reality, we don't use it and we don't test it... Does anyone out there >> care about ia64-linux? > > I do. :) > > There are still many scientific users who have itanium boxes left > around. Even if they are migrating away from them, I'm sure these are > still used if possible. > > I haven't tried prefix on an ia64 box yet. We have one with gentoo on > it already. I can use that if you need someone to test stuff.
So, the ML is not an extremely popular place to ask such a question with only ~210 people subscribed but I can only assume that it is a good subset of people that rely on Gentoo Prefix for $important reasons (business, personal, etc). With that, there was one response and you haven't even used it yet, Burcin. Therefore, I propose to drop the keyword(s) and leave the profiles for now. Similar to what I did for arm-linux. That way, when you get around to trying ia64-linux, you have most of the guts and just need to modify ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, etc. Sounds like a fair compromise to me that sets proper expectations for future Gentoo Prefix users. -Jeremy

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] Dropping ia64-linux - anyone care? Burcin Erocal <burcin@××××××.org>