From: Burcin Erocal <burcin@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Dropping ia64-linux - anyone care?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:35:13
On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:29:00 -0600
Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> wrote:

> Fabian and I discussed dropping ia64-linux support. Time to face > reality, we don't use it and we don't test it... Does anyone out there > care about ia64-linux?
I do. :) There are still many scientific users who have itanium boxes left around. Even if they are migrating away from them, I'm sure these are still used if possible. I haven't tried prefix on an ia64 box yet. We have one with gentoo on it already. I can use that if you need someone to test stuff. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but here is some context: I've been developing a (math oriented) scientific software distribution [1] based on gentoo-prefix and sage-on-gentoo [2]. This relies on the compiler and toolchain on the host instead of building everything from scratch. Progress is rather slow, since I don't have much time to work on this, but it's getting there. [1] [2] It can build Sage [3] with all it's dependencies (modulo jmol - a java application for 3D graphs) on various linux distros. I don't have access to any OSX machines other than a 10.5 PPC box, where everything that doesn't need a fortran compiler works. I've had reports that OSX 10.6 is in a similar state. [3] I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions about how to go about this. I didn't have any gentoo developer experience when I started. I'm sure there are quite a lot of thing I need to learn. Cheers, Burcin

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-alt] OT: gcc-apple and fortran support Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-alt] Dropping ia64-linux - anyone care? Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>