From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] Preparing for Snow Leopard
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 18:23:50
1 On 07-09-2009 23:14:47 +0900, Tobias Hahn wrote:
2 > SL still uses a 32 bit kernel by default. The 64 bit kernel is
3 > optional on supported hardware (hold down 64 while booting). Only SL
4 > Server on an xserve uses the 64 bit kernel by default iirc. I guess
5 > the reasoning is to give consumer hardware vendors a chance to write
6 > 64 bit kexts. On the other hand, most applications from Apple (Finder,
7 > Terminal, Safari...) now support 64 bit, but obviously also only if
8 > the hardware supports it (so on a core not-2 duo everything will be 32
9 > bit as before).
10
11 Hmmm, that sounds weird, even my Tiger can do 64-bits stuff (the kernel
12 that is). That was the whole idea: being able to address much more
13 memory. Anyway it obviously requires some scripting.
14
15 Either we default to 32-bits Prefix on Snow Leopard too, or we figure
16 out a way to see if we're running on a 64-bits capable machine so we can
17 enable 64-bits on Snow Leopard where possible.
18
19 Thanks for the info!
23 Fabian Groffen
24 Gentoo on a different level