From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: Michael Weiser <michael@×××××××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] gemato in prefix
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2018 09:04:49
1 Hi Michael,
2
3 To give you an idea; the current tree is getting its Manifests from
4 hashgen.c, which you can find in scripts/rsync-generation/hashgen.c.
5 The hashverify tool, which I'm currently working on, is basically an
6 addition to that file (doing argv[0] detection) to perform the
7 verification. At this time of writing, I have the gpg-verification and
8 single file entry verification in place. I'm still trying to close the
9 gap in checking the dirs in particular looking for files that are not
10 listed in the Manifest.
11 hashgen currently runs in 30s or so on the tree to generate manifests.
12 I hope it can verify in the same amount of time (we're talking about a
13 Quad G5 PowerPC machine here with rusty old spinning disks), leaving it
14 in a much better position to be used for Prefix, since we tend to have
15 slower/older machines around. We're not really looking forward to 15
16 minutes of verification as some bugs have been reported to with gemato.
17
18 Portage used to do 1) checking the digests of ebuilds and 2) checking
19 for missing and extra files. I noticed that at least 1) is no longer
20 present, which I find weird. I need checking this on normal Gentoo,
21 (simply edit an ebuild and try to emerge it without updating its
22 digest), but I have the suspicion this got disabled because the full
23 tree verification should catch this. Needless to say, that's
24 suboptimal, and not very secure IMO.
25
26 Now I may be all wrong with trying to implement the verification myself,
27 but that's a separate topic. gemato should work fine.
28
29 I've checked some of the digests you mentioned and they look ok. So I'm
30 wondering whether perhaps you got caught in the middle of a sync. This
31 used to be much less of a problem because of per-ebuild-dir integrity,
32 but now the entire tree requires to be consistent. I'll look into
33 re-activating my symlink-flip, which should make the switch atomic, but
34 I don't know what rsync is doing if the symlink is flipped during a
35 sync. It reduces the invalid window somewhat I guess.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Fabian