From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] Stable Keywords?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:45:21
1 On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 10:09 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 21-11-2007 08:49:12 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 15:57 -0600, matt hull wrote:
4 > > > i think we should use stable and testing in the current tree. no
5 > > > different from other hurds. after 30 days with no major bugs and
6 > > > tested mark the package as stable. as you said you dont have any
7 > > > time, so you could just leave it unstable till there is time
8 > >
9 > > +1
10 >
11 > Be aware that arch teams have a hard job doing stable markings, as the
12 > entire dep chain needs to be stable too. In other words, I for sure
13 > wouldn't put my time in it, so others would have to go this route.
14
15 Agreed+accepted, eventually -0.5 then ;)
18 > > > i would like to see this for system packages so a change doesnt break
19 > > > my system and force a reinstall.
20 > >
21 > > +2
22 > >
23 > > Having at least system+svn stable would be really useful, especially for
24 > > bootstrapping.
25 >
26 > I thought about this too, but what does it really add? The bootstrap
27 > snapshot is already a freezed snapshot that is supposed to work (that's
28 > why I can't just spin off a new snapshot, it needs to be in a stable
29 > state). More than often I have to release a new snapshot just because I
30 > fixed a quite show-stopping bug in the bootstrap image. A stable
31 > keyword doesn't help here, as we either have to immediately bump these
32 > packages into stable here, or the stable version causes trouble once an
33 > update is being done. The nice library moves that I had to do are a
34 > great example of this.
35
36 Currently, snapshot needs to contain working ~arch system+svn packages
37 for _all_ platforms at once, because if one snapshot is stable for one
38 platform, it can turn out to be broken for another one, requiring a new
39 snapshot, which might break the before-stable platform because it gets
40 the new unstable packages even for bootstrap.
41
42 /haubi/
43 --
44 Michael Haubenwallner