From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] Stable Keywords?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:54:37
1 On 21-11-2007 11:44:32 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
2 > > I thought about this too, but what does it really add? The bootstrap
3 > > snapshot is already a freezed snapshot that is supposed to work (that's
4 > > why I can't just spin off a new snapshot, it needs to be in a stable
5 > > state). More than often I have to release a new snapshot just because I
6 > > fixed a quite show-stopping bug in the bootstrap image. A stable
7 > > keyword doesn't help here, as we either have to immediately bump these
8 > > packages into stable here, or the stable version causes trouble once an
9 > > update is being done. The nice library moves that I had to do are a
10 > > great example of this.
11 >
12 > Currently, snapshot needs to contain working ~arch system+svn packages
13 > for _all_ platforms at once, because if one snapshot is stable for one
14 > platform, it can turn out to be broken for another one, requiring a new
15 > snapshot, which might break the before-stable platform because it gets
16 > the new unstable packages even for bootstrap.
17
18 I see the same problem popping up with adding stable keywords for this
19 reason. I prefer to make different snapshots for different arches then.
20 That is, just to add some logic in bootstrap-prefix.sh to pick a
21 per-arch snapshot, and upload those separately. Would also allow you to
22 be in control of hpux, aix and stuff like that, while I would bother
23 about solaris and darwin. For the latter pipping might be able to help
24 out as well.
28 Fabian Groffen
29 Gentoo on a different level
30 --